The Convergence of Purim, Iran, and Washington, DC
The days leading up to Purim this year may well bring a convergence of decisions in Israel, Iran, and Washington, DC that will affect the future as dramatically as the biblical account of Esther.
March 6th on the Gregorian calendar, at sundown, the Hebrew Fast of Esther begins (Ta’anit Esther, the beginning of the 13th of Adar). March 7th, at sundown, Jews worldwide will begin to celebrate Purim, and rejoice in the “reversal of decrees” that saved the Jewish people from destruction (the 14th of Adar).
For the last several months, the Lord has been speaking to me, and to others in Jerusalem, to be very alert to pray concerning shakings that would accelerate during the month of March, 2012.
I would like to call believers worldwide to join our Jewish friends in the fast of Esther from sundown, March 6th through sundown, March 7th. Let us pray for the intervention of the Lord of the Armies of Heaven to save Israel from the annihilation being threatened by Iran.
An Urgency Concerning the Month of March and Washington, DC
I had the great privilege of being asked to dedicate a new house of prayer in Washington, DC, on the evening of January 13th this year. As I was praying in preparation, I felt in my spirit that, as in the time of Nehemiah, there was a great urgency to pray for a shifting in systems and structures, and for a wall of spiritual protection to be built to protect ground that would be gained in intercession. I felt that much of the future of America and Israel would be decided between January – March this year, and it would be too late if intercessors wait to “kick into gear” in the Fall, right before the elections.
I encouraged the Washington DC intercessors the night of January 13th, to study the books of Ezra and Nehemiah, and to be focused on building a wall of protection around Washington, DC, just as Nehemiah was very focused to see the wall around Jerusalem built in 52 days. I think it is very significant that the end of the 52 days is sundown March 5th, the day before the Fast of Esther, which begins sundown March 6.
In the time of Nehemiah, the Lord used Ezra to call for a sacred assembly to confess Israel’s sins, and the sins of their fathers, and to renew covenant with the God of Israel. Our good friend, and co-laborer, Jon Hamill, is working with spiritual leaders in the Washington, DC area to have such a sacred assembly on March 3rd, and onsite prayer on March 6th. I would strongly encourage those in the Washington, DC area to join them in imploring the Lord’s mercy over that city, and the decisions being made there. For more information, see Jon Hamill’s website: http://www.lamplighterministries.net/
The Importance of a Right Understanding in Washington
In the story of Esther, King Ahasuerus was somehow blinded to the evil conniving of Haman to destroy the Jews, and played into Haman’s hand. But through the fasting and prayers of Mordecai, Esther, and the Jewish people, the king had his eyes opened and took the steps necessary to intervene.
Are we really at such a serious point in history again? Is Iran (ancient Persia in the story of Esther) truly an existential threat to Israel? Many in Washington are deceived by a political doctrine from the era of the Cold War Soviet threat. That doctrine is called “Mutual Assured Destruction”, and stated that the fact that either side could respond with a nuclear strike, assuring the destruction of the aggressor, would be incentive enough to keep the other side from starting a nuclear confrontation. Although that was true of those two cultures, it is not true of Iran today.
As is well explained in a recent Jerusalem Post article: “Nuclear deterrence will not help prevent Iran’s pursuit of nuclear weapons since the Iranian regime has religious motives to bring about the return of the Mahdi and is prepared to die for it.
Iran is led by a group of irrational men who believe they can hurry the arrival of the Mahdi – the 12th Imam who, according to Shi’ite Islamic tradition, went missing in 874 CE and will return under conditions of global chaos. The Iranian leadership appears willing to sacrifice the population of its own country to achieve this goal.
In his book The Rise of Nuclear Iran, former Israeli ambassador to the UN Dore Gold writes, ‘Mahdi Khaliji, an Iranian Shi’ite scholar… has noted that there are apocalyptic hadiths [received Shi’ite traditions] that the Mahdi will not return unless one-third of the world population is killed and another third die. But Ahmadinejad and his followers believe man can actively create the conditions for the Mahdi’s arrival in the here and now…’
In 2006, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting website said in a program called ‘The World Towards Illumination’, that the Mahdi will reappear in Mecca and form an army to defeat Islam’s enemies in a series of apocalyptic battles, in which the Mahdi will overcome his archenemy in Jerusalem.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a member of the Hojatieh society, a group which believes it can and should hasten the arrival of the Mahdi. According to Islamic tradition, the Mahdi’s arrival will be accompanied or followed by near destruction of nations. The group appears to maintain a deep desire to create the necessary global chaos. And Ahmadinejad has publicly called for the Mahdi’s speedy return” 
How Should We Pray?
1. Let us pray that the Mordecais and Esthers of our time will hear the call of the Holy Spirit concerning the urgency of the hour, and will not be distracted or lulled into slumber by a false sense of security.
2. Let us pray for continued success of the covert war against Iran obtaining a nuclear weapon. On Nov. 8, 2011, I received a vision in one of our watches here in Succat Hallel in Jerusalem. I saw something resembling a Tower of Babel being built in Iran, representing a working together of various nations to stand against God. I sensed it represented their nuclear weapons program. As they were bringing final stones to place on top, then lightning from heaven struck it, and the top level of stones fell off (not all), producing a set-back to their nuclear efforts. Then waves coming from the worship in houses of prayer in the Middle East washed away sand in Iran, and uncovered and exposed hidden things. I felt this vision was confirmed by news reports on Nov. 11 of a great explosion at an Iranian top-secret, military facility, which “shook windows” 30 km. away in Tehran.
Let us believe for much confusion and division upon the demonic powers bent on destroying Israel (2 Chron. 20).
3. Let us pray for a clear understanding to come to the decision-makers in Jerusalem and Washington, DC to do the right thing at the right time. (Esther 7:3-6)
4. Let us proclaim a reversal of every Satanic decree to destroy Israel, and that “Haman” will be hung upon his own gallows. (Esther 7:9,10; Ps. 33:10-12)
5. For Iran (Persia), let us pray for the Lord to bring shame upon His enemies in such a way that they will begin to seek the Name of the Lord, to know Who is the True and Living God (See Psalm 83, especially verse 16).
6. For Israel, let us pray that the God of Esther will once again bring great deliverance and joy to His ancient people, and that they will give all the glory to Him (Esther 9:20-22).
Note: Just after I had written this article stressing the strategic importance of March 3-6 for both Israel and Washington, DC concerning Iran, the following article appeared in an Israeli daily news source noting that it was very unusual that both Prime Minister Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres would be in Washington, DC March 4-6, and were slated to meet with President Obama about Iran. You may read more at this link: http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=2996]
Succat Hallel (24/7 in Jerusalem)