The false god Baal is mentioned in the Bible with a variety of names.
Chief among the names appears to be Baalzebub or Beelzebub (in the New Testament). He is the prince of demons.
Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
These are the Hebrew names of Baal as defined by Prophet’s Dictionary:
- Baal-Berith = ”lord of the covenant” 1170 a god of the Philistines
- Baal-Gad = “lord of fortune“ 1171 a city noted for Baal-worship, located at the most northern or northwestern point to which Joshua’s victories extended
- Baal-Hamon = “lord (possessor) of abundance“ 1174 Baal-mammon, site of Solomon’s vineyard
- Baal-Hermon or Baal-Chermon = “lord of destruction“ 1179 a city near or on Mount Hermon, named as a seat of Baal worship
- Baal-Hazor = “lord of the village“ 1178 a town on the border between Ephraim and Benjamin
- Baal-Meon = “lord of the habitation” 1186 a town in Reuben, mentioned in connection with Nebo, and in the time of Ezekiel, Moabite
- Baal-Peor = “lord of the gap” 1187 the deity worshipped at Peor with probable licentious rites
- Baal-Shalisha = “thrice-great lord“ 1190 a place in Ephraim near Gilgal
- Baal-Tamar = “lord of the palms“ 1193 a place near Gibeah in Benjamin
- Baal-Zebub = “lord of the flies” 1176 a Philistine god
- Baal-Chatsor = “possessor of a court” 1178 a city between Ephraim and Benjamin
- Baale-Bamoth = “lord of the high places” 1181 heights
- Baal-Peratsim = “possesor of the breaches” 1188 a place in Palestine
- Baal-Yehuda = “Baal of Judah” 1184 the center of Baal worship in Judah
- Baal – to marry, rule over, as husband, high, married, master, ruled 1166
- Baal – owner, lord, bridegroom, relative by marriage 1167
- Baal was the storm god. Elijah shut up the rain to prove that GOD is in charge of the rain not Baal. 1 Kings 8:35, 1 King 17:1.
- Baal was known as a fertility god. Abraham and Sarah. Gen 11:31-32
Other than the Hebrew names of Baal, there are a number of names in other languages and cultures:
Apollo, Zeus, Marduk, Ahura-Mazda, Osiris, Tammuz, Dagon, Prometheus, Jupiter, Nimrod, Mithra, Ra, Lucetius, Dyaus, Dionysus, Hermes, Adonis, Pan, Hades, Eros, Uranus, Gaea, Assur, Merodach, Ninus, Shamas, Zeus-Belus, Bacchus, Shiva, etc.