Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible.
But do you know which nation is second?
It is Iraq !
However, that is not the name that is used in the Bible.
The names used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of Shinar, and Mesopotamia … The word Mesopotamia means between the two rivers, and refers to the territory between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.
The name Iraq means “country with deep roots”. Indeed Iraq is a country with deep roots and is a very significant country in the Bible.
No other nation, except Israel , has more history and prophecy associated with it than Iraq.
Here are 17 verses out of very many that refer to Iraq under one or other of its names.
- The Garden of Eden was in Iraq (Genesis 2:10-14).
- The Tower of Babel was in Iraq (land of Shinar) (Genesis 11).
- Abraham was from Ur (Genesis 11:28,31), the largest city in Shinar , which is in Southern Iraq …
- Isaac’s wife Rebekah was the granddaughter of Nahor, born in the city named after her grandfather. The city of Nahor was in Mesopotamia, which is in Iraq (Genesis 24:10).
- Jacob met Rachel in Iraq in her father Laban’s city which was Nahor. Laban was Nahor’s son, so Rachel was his granddaughter (Genesis 29:10).
- Jonah preached in Nineveh (Jonah 3:3) – which is in Iraq (Genesis 10:10-11).
- Assyria, which is in Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of Israel ..
- The kingdom of Babylon, which is in Iraq , destroyed Jerusalem.
- Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews captive into Iraq .
- Daniel was in the lion’s den in Babylon (Iraq).
- The three Hebrew children were in the fiery furnace in Iraq (Jesus had been in Iraq also as the fourth person in the Fiery Furnace!).
- Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the writing on the wall in Iraq.
- Ezekiel preached in Iraq.
- The wise men, who visited Jesus in Matthew 2:1, came from the East, which is where Iraq was located
- Peter preached in Babylon (1 Peter 5:13).
- The evil business and religious center mentioned in Revelation is called Babylon (Revelation 14:8). (But this could have been figurative.)
In the light of the fact that Babylon figures prominently in the book of Revelation chapters 14 to 18, and is six times called “that Great City”, it can be deduced that the city of Babylon will come fully into existence in the last days, as “that Great City”. Interesting that Saddam Hussein who fancied himself as the modern Nebuchadnezzar, started to rebuild the city including the Hanging Gardens. The project was not completed, but the project has been resumed under an agreement between the USA and Iraq, signed on February 22, 2012 and will be built under the supervision of the State Board of Antiquities and Heritage (Iraq).